Purchase Permits must be obtained personally at the Records Department.
Record Department's Gun Permit Hours
Monday - 7:00am to 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday - 7:00am to 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday - 7:00am to 4:30 p.m.
Thursday - 7:00am to 4:30 p.m.
Friday - 7:00am to 4:30 p.m.
Photo ID is REQUIRED. Generally background checks take about 30 minutes to complete. After purchasing your firearm your SIGNED permit can be dropped off at the Dispatch Window ANY TIME of the day.
Firearm ownership carries with it a great responsibility. You must take the appropriate measures to safeguard your welfare, as well as the welfare of others, when handling a firearm. Accident prevention is the user's responsibility.
To legally own and use a firearm, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be at least 21 years of age, or you must be at least 18 years of age if you are purchasing the firearm from a relative.
- If you have ever been convicted of a Felony, you will not be eligible.
- If you have any criminal cases pending against you or old cases without a court disposition, you will not be eligible.
- If you have any court orders that state you may not purchase or own a firearm, you will not be eligible.
- You must present valid picture identification showing your current address. We will not accept expired identifications.
- To purchase a pistol, you must first come into the White Lake Police Department and obtain a purchase permit if buying from a private seller. If purchasing from a dealer, you can go directly to the dealer.
- You will need to show a valid picture I.D.
- You will be asked to fill out a general questionnaire and be required to take a short quiz regarding handgun rules and safety.
- We will do a background check to verify that you meet all the qualifications.
- Once you have been approved, you will be issued a purchase permit. This is a three (3) part form. One section is for your records, one section is for the seller’s record, and one section is for the State of Michigan. The purchase permit is valid for 30 days.
- Once you have obtained your gun, you are required to return the MSP copy of the purchase permit to White Lake Police Department. You can either drop them off or mail them to:
White Lake Police Department
7525 Highland Road
White Lake, MI 48386
Attn: Gun Registration
SAFETY INSPECTIONS / REGISTRATION
As of January 07, 2009, the State of Michigan no longer requires gun owners to have their firearms Safety Inspected. As referred to in the paragraph above, once you return the MSP copy of your purchase permit to our office; we will record your information and register your firearm with the State of Michigan.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE NEW FIREARMS REGISTRATION LAWS, PLEASE CONTACT THE STATE OF MICHIGAN FIREARMS UNIT. http://www.michigan.gov/msp
ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT INFORMATION
If you obtained a handgun from the estate of a deceased friend or family member, you will need to bring a copy of the death certificate with you when you come in to apply for a firearm permit. As long as you meet all qualifications, the gun can be registered in your name.
If you moved from out of state, you must have your firearms re-registered in the State of Michigan.
Without a Concealed Pistol License, you are limited to transporting your pistol, unloaded, in a locked container, in the trunk of a vehicle only under the following circumstances:
If your vehicle does not have a trunk, the weapon may be transported in the passenger compartment for the above purposes, provided that it is unloaded, in a locked case and not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.
- Enroute to or from a hunting or target shooting area.
- Transportation from the place of purchase to your home, place of business or place of repair.
- In moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business.
NOTE – Full-time Peace Officers are not required to obtain a Concealed Pistol License.
When hunting with a pistol, the pistol must be carried in a holster or belt in plain view, on the outside of your clothing, unless you have a Concealed Pistol License for hunting or a non-restricted Concealed Pistol License.