Crimes of opportunity are as prevalent in White lake Township as in any of our neighboring communities. To help combat these types of crimes it is important to practice a few common sense strategies.
- ALWAYS LOCK YOUR DOORS (EVEN WHEN YOU ARE HOME).
This includes the door leading to the house from the garage as well as all exterior doors and also windows.
- ALWAYS KEEP THE OVERHEAD DOOR TO THE GARAGE CLOSED AND LOCKED.
An open garage with no vehicles inside is a clear sign that no one is home.
- WHEN WORKING IN THE YARD, CARRY A KEY AND KEEP THE EXTERIOR DOORS TO THE HOME CLOSED AND LOCKED.
- NEVER LEAVE VALUABLES IN YOUR VEHICLES
One of the most common crimes in the area is larceny from vehicles. Thieves will enter unlocked, as well as locked vehicles and remove personal items such as GPS Units, computers and cameras, wallets, cash and anything else of value.
- ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS
If something in your neighborhood doesn't look right it may not be right. Call the police and let them know.